For those of you traveling to other areas of Turkey that want an add-on trip to see Ephesus or if you are wanting to focus on this region, this is just the tour for you.
Ephesus is the most viisted and likely the most amazing Roman city in Turkey for travelers. A major pilgrimage point for Christians for literally thousands of years, it is well worth the time and money for a visit.
You’ll see the Odeon, the Bouleterion, Library, Agora, and the Great Theather. What you won’t see is the Sea! While in Roman times a port city – due to the Roman’s need for wood, its believed they clear cut most surrounding mountains, resulting in major erosion and, the resultant silting up of the harbor. The sea is now over 2 miles away!
Also, you’ll stop by the shrine of the Virgin Mary and visit the Ephesus Museum, though while small has some incredible exhibits.
Your hotels overnight can be either in the hussle of Izmir, the quite small town of Selcuk very close to Ephesus, or in the Ageaen seaside town of Kusadasi, Turkey.
The tour assumes a domestic flight at the beginning to position you in Izmir. Let us know if this isn't needed or if the flight needs to come from Istanbul or Cappadocia instead.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation: 3 nights included,
- Your Choice of Accommodations:
- La Vista Boutique (great for swimming in summer) or
- Restored Village Houses in Sirince Village - quiet and pristine.
- Meals: 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches
- Services of a private licensed professional english speaking tour guide
- Domestic flights (Antalya – Ephesus / Ephesus – Istanbul)
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Admission tickets to sites and museums
- Private VIP transportation per tour itinerary
- Parking, portage, toll roads
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association of Turkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International flight tickets
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Entry Visas
- Additional drinks at lunch and dinner
- Optional programs listed in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Visas, laundry, and personal items
- Founded by chance in pre-greek times- this city rose to prominence under Roman Rule - the remains of which are clearly seen today in all their glory and splendor. Many of the significant statues are located at the small but interersting nearby museum. One of which is the statues of Artemis - both the venerated object of Ephesian worship and the cause of tumult for St. Paul. This site is one of the splendors of Turkey. A must see.
St John's Gravesite
- The center of pilgirmage for many years- the apostle John was buried here and throughout the early Byzantine era- this site was a draw for Christians. Close to Ephesus -it now quietly sits on a citadel like hill overlooking the swamp were the infamous Artemis temple once stood - now marked by a single column and the occasional stork.
- The supposed home where Mary lived in her later years, it is an important Catholic site of visitation located in the quiet cool forest above Ephesus.
- One of the ancient cites of Greece- the location in the forest is remarkable and requires some walking.
- A powerful city somewhat competitor to Ephesus but superpassed in grandeur it has an impressive theater and the remains of many historically noteworthy events.
- If you've seen movies that demonstrate what a pre-Greek until Roman Oracle was like then this site is a must see - still largely intact- it was a place where people came to hear from the Gods. A mix of animal sacrifice, hallucination and likely even more illicit activities ensures the seekers left with a buzz.
- Perhaps the most photographed location in Turkey - the beautiful white travertines cascade over wide cliffs- backed by an even more impressive ancient city of Hierapolis, complete with an oracle, theater and even the Martyrium of St. Philip.
- You will be transferred to Antalya Airport for Izmir flight. (included)
- When you arrive to the Izmir Airport and exit baggage claim, look for a person holding a sign bearing your name.
- Your private guide and driver will welcome you and you will continue your tour to Ephesus.
- Your tour will include these sites: Ephesus famous with its Celsus Library and Impressive Theater, the Temple of Artemis, the small but significant Ephesus Museum, St. John's Church, and Virgin Mary’s House.
- You will overnight i the seaside town of Kusadasi where you can enjoy the warmth, sunsets and pool There is the option instead to stay in the small village of Sirince, upon request.
- Today your guide will be ready in your hotel and you will first visit the Priene ancient city in the morning.
- Following lunch (often at a small seaside local hangout) you will continue to Miletus at the end of the Meander river and then to the great oracle of Didyma.
- You will return to your hotel in Kusadasi (or Sirince per above)
- You will be taken from your hotel by your private guide and driver to Pamukkale. A few hours drive away.
- In Pamukkale you will visit the White Travertines and after lunch you will continue to visit the Ancient city of Hierapolis.
- You will have the option of visiting the famous Cleopatra baths and swimming in the thermal pools.
- After the tour you will turn back to your hotel in Kusadasi.
- You will be picked up from your hotel by your private driver and transferred directly to Izmir Airport for your Istanbul flight. (included)
Price per participant
3 to 5