This tour is the perfect fit for anyone wanting to add-on an adventure to Ephesus. Regardless of your reasons, this trip will not disappoint. A domestic flight is included from any city in Turkey in order to position you in Izmir at the start.
Ephesus is the most well known, and likely, most breathtaking ancient Roman city within Turkey, hosting more travelers year round than any other site in the country. A major pilgrimage point for Christians for thousands of years, and known well for it’s preserved architecture and history, it is well worth a visit.
Odeon, the Bouleuterion, the Celsus Library, Agora, and the Great Theater are just a some of the major sites visited on this exploration. It doesn’t stop there! You will also visit the shrine of the Virgin Mary and explore the Ephesus Museum. Though small, it houses incredible exhibits that cannot be missed.
Finally, you will visit the ancient city of Priene, Miletus at the end of the Menderes River, the Oracle of Didyma, the white travertines of Pamukkale, and the ancient city of Hierapolis where you will have the option of visiting the famous Cleopatra baths and swimming in the thermal pools.
You will have your pick of several hotel options for your stay. Maybe you want the hustle of Izmir, the quiet small town of Selcuk near Ephesus, or to wake up near the Aegean in the seaside town of Kusadasi, Turkey. Each option offers unique experiences that our team will customize just for you.
- Founded by chance in pre-greek times- this city rose to prominence under Roman Rule - the remains of which are clearly seen today in all their glory and splendor. Many of the significant statues are located at the small but interesting nearby museum. One of which is the statues of Artemis - both the venerated object of Ephesian worship and the cause of tumult for St. Paul. This site is one of the splendors of Turkey. A must see.
St John's Gravesite
- The center of pilgrimage for many years- the apostle John was buried here and throughout the early Byzantine era- this site was a draw for Christians. Close to Ephesus -it now quietly sits on a citadel like hill overlooking the swamp were the infamous Artemis temple once stood - now marked by a single column and the occasional stork.
- The supposed home where Mary lived in her later years, it is an important Catholic site of visitation located in the quiet cool forest above Ephesus.
- One of the ancient cites of Greece- the location in the forest is remarkable and requires some walking.
- A powerful city somewhat competitor to Ephesus but surpassed in grandeur it has an impressive theater and the remains of many historically noteworthy events.
- If you've seen movies that demonstrate what a Greek or Roman Oracle was like then this site is a must see - still largely intact- it was a place where people came to hear from the gods. A mix of animal sacrifice, hallucination and likely even more illicit activities ensure the seekers left with a buzz.
- Perhaps the most photographed location in Turkey - the beautiful white travertines cascade over wide cliffs- backed by the even more impressive ancient city of Hierapolis, complete with an oracle, theater and even the Martyrium of St. Philip.
- Your private driver will pick you up from your hotel and drive you to the airport for your flight to Izmir. (domestic flight included)
- When you arrive at the Izmir Airport and exit baggage claim your private guide will be there holding a sign with your name on it ready to welcome you and start your tour.
- With your guide and driver you will start your journey to Ephesus.
- Your day will include: Ephesus, famous with its Celsus Library and impressive Theater; the Temple of Artemis; the Ephesus Museum; St. John's Church; and the Virgin Mary’s House.
- Tonight you can enjoy the warmth, sunset, and pool after you check-in to your hotel in the seaside town of Kusadasi. (There is the option instead to stay in the small village of Sirince, upon request.)
- In the morning your guide will meet you in the hotel lobby where you will leave to visit the ancient city of Priene.
- Following lunch, often at a local seaside location, you will continue to Miletus at the end of the Menderes River and then to the great oracle of Didyma.
- In the evening you will return to your hotel in Kusadasi (or Sirince per above)
- Your guide will meet you in the hotel lobby and with your private driver you will venture to Pamukkale. You can anticipate this drive to be a few hours long.
- In Pamukkale you will visit the white travertines and after lunch you will continue to the ancient city of Hierapolis.
- You will have the option of visiting the famous Cleopatra baths and swimming in the thermal pools.
- In the evening you will return to your hotel in Kusadasi.
- Your private driver will meet you in the hotel lobby to shuttle you directly to the Izmir Airport for your flight to Istanbul.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation based on Package chosen:
- Platinum Class Hotel (La Vista Boutique)
- Gold Class Hotel (La Vista Boutique)
- Silver Class Hotel (Doubletree by Hilton Kusadası)
- Bronze Class Hotel (Ilayda Avantgarde)
- Meals: 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches
- Services of a private licensed professional English speaking tour guide
- Domestic flights (Antalya – Ephesus / Ephesus – Istanbul)
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Admission tickets to sites and museums
- Private VIP transportation per tour itinerary
- Parking, portage, toll roads
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association of Turkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International flight tickets
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Entry Visas
- Additional drinks at lunch and dinner
- Optional programs listed in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Laundry, and personal items
Price per participant
3 to 5