October 28-31, 2020
Join a small group tour with your guides Jason Borges and Cansu Ozer to explore the history of early Christians in the magical land of Cappadocia. Jason Borges (PhD candidate, Durham University) lives in Cappadocia, where he conducts history trainings on Byzantine architecture and monasticism for tour guides and hosts the website CappadociaHistory.com. Cansu Ozer is an premier tour guide in Cappadocia, having researched the region and translated academic books into Turkish.
Full tour days are on Thursday and Friday, with a half day on Saturday. You will see the Dark Church, Keslik and Selime Monasteries. Explore Ihlara Valley, Pasabaglari (Fairy Chimneys), Zelve Open Air Musuem (houses carved in rock, Seljukian Mosque and remains). You'll also visit Goreme Open Air Museum (rock cut churches, frescos, monastery), Kaymaklı Underground City, Guzelyurt, Avanos and Soganli Valley.
The tour involves a considerate amount of walking each day along rocky paths, so appropriate shoes are recommended. Please inquire if you have any mobility concerns that may affect your participation.
$490 per person
$40 additional if you are not a Museum Pass Card holder
$140 additional if you would like round trip domestic flights for Cappadocia included
Group will form with a minimum of 7 people. If the group minimum is not reached, you will be notified of the cancellation and your payment will be refunded in full to you. If local government restrictions or lockdowns due to Covid prevent the tour, full refunds will be issued. Reservations are open to expats in Turkey.
Optional Programs in Cappadocia:
- Whirling Dervish Ceremony: $65 per person
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: 6o Minutes: $220 per person 90 Minutes: $330 per person
- Horseback Riding Sunset Tour: 1 Hour: $60 person 2 Hours: $90 per person
Wednesday, Oct. 28
- After your flight, you will be welcomed in Cappadocia Airport by your private guide and transferred directly to your hotel.
Thursday, Oct. 29
- After breakfast, you will start your tour by exploring Soganli Valley, Keslik Monastry, Goreme Open Air Museum and Dark Church, with a lunch break midday.
Friday, Oct. 30
- You will visit Ihlara Valley, Selime Monastry and Kaymakli Underground City. On the way to Guzelyurt you will have your lunch and continue your tour by visiting Nazianus and Uchisar.
Saturday, Oct. 31
- Optional Hot Air Balloon flight this morning at dawn. Then your day will continue after breakfast with a visit to Avanos and continue to Zelve and Pasabag. Your tour will end after lunch, and you will be transferred to Cappadocia Airport in the afternoon for your return flight.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in Cappadocia for 3 nights
- Breakfast daily, Lunch on Full Day tours
- Private Tours with licensed professional English speaking guide and tour host
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Domestic flights (to & from Cappadocia) on option with flights
- Admission tickets to sites and museums
- Private VIP transportation per tour itinerary
- Parking, portage, toll roads
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association of Turkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance
What is not included in the tour
- Drinks at lunch and dinner
- No lunch is included on the first day
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Domestic flights (to & from Cappadocia) on option with no flights
- Entry Visa to Turkey
- Travel insurance
- Laundry, and personal items
- International flight tickets
- Optional programs listed in the itinerary