The Highlights of Turkey tour is an ideal choice to see the main historic sites and major attractions of Turkey within 10 days. You’ll see the best of Istanbul and it’s ancient structures, from the mosques to the Roman influenced architecture. After a short flight to Cappadocia, you’ll experience this amazing landscape. While staying at luxurious cave hotels at night, travel and explore the lunar like topography and cave mosaics by day. With a one hour flight to Izmir, spend a few days exploring the classical sites of western Turkey, including the vast avenues of ancient Ephesus, a traveler’s delight.
- An enormous public entertainment arena, it once seated as many as 100,000 zealous fans who came to watch chariot races, executions, and mock battles. Formerly the center of Byzantine civic life, it is still marked by the Egyptian Obelisk, the Bronze Serpentine Column, and the Column of Constantine.
- With its massive central dome flanked by six slender minarets, the Blue Mosque stands as the single most recognizable monument in the Istanbul skyline. Built between 1609 and 1616, the enormous complex also included a hospital, caravansary, public kitchen, marketplace, schools and the Mausoleum of Sultan Ahmet I. The mosque’s immense interior, flooded with sunlight streaming through 260 windows, is decorated with more than 20,000 precious Iznik tiles detailing traditional flowers of Ottoman design. In fact, it is the deep blue glow of the tiles in the sunlight that gives the building its name.
- This famous basilica was constructed in the 6th century A.D.. It is often described as the greatest work of Byzantine architecture. Once the Church of Holy Wisdom, Christendom’s crowning glory, it glittered with mosaics and artistic treasures. Today, the Hagia Sophia is the fourth largest building constructed as a church in the world. It was dedicated to Hagia Sophia which means Divine Wisdom – an attribute of Christ.
- Istanbul, besieged countless times, has always needed permanent water supplies. As a result, many underground cisterns were built during the Byzantine Empire. Water was brought to these big reservoirs from distant sources via aqueducts. We will visit the largest and most ornate of these cisterns.
- The area of the Grand Bazaar was a trade center during the Byzantine period. Two domes were built by Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror to enrich the economic life of the city. Today, the atmosphere of the Grand Bazaar is mysterious and intriguing. It has become a very popular place, where visitors explore a labyrinth of streets and passages housing eighteen entrances and more than 4,000 shops.
- The home for 400 years of ruling Sultan’s in Istanbul, this is a not to be missed site. The second palace built in Istanbul after its conquest by the Turks, it served as the center of the Ottoman Empire between the 15th and 19th centuries. This palace’s maze of oppulent buildings is where the sultans, their courts, and their harems lived and governed.
- This covered market, built as part of the Yeni Cami (New Mosque) complex, is filled with the fragrant scent of spices from the Orient.
- This narrow, navigable strait between Europe and Asia connects the Black Sea to the Marmara Sea. It is about 20 miles long and up to one and a half miles wide. Our cruise will take us past the late Ottoman Palaces – Dolmabahce and Beylerbeyi, as well as beautiful, wooden mansions and modern villas built in this elegant section of the city during the 19th & 20th centuries.
- Once a leading city of Rome - it fell prey to silting up of the harbor - which also lead to the cities downfall and protection, to our benefit as it is now one of the best preserved cities from the ancient world.
Day 1: Istanbul
- Our representative will welcome you at the airport and take you to your Sultanahmet Hotel which can range from the luxurious Four Seasons to the more moderate Celal Sultan (hotels depending on price package chosen) All the hotels sit atop the tallest of the seven hills of Istanbul in the historic Sultanahmet district. You will have time to become acquainted with the celebrated historic district of this bustling city before turning in for the night.
Day 2: Istanbul
- The Saint Sophia was the greatest church in Christendom for over a thousand years. Today, we will enter this ancient wonder and discover it’s remarkable story. We will also visit one of the Ottoman Empire’s greatest architectural achievements: the Blue Mosque. After lunch, we will also marvel at the Hippodrome and the Basilica Cistern. In the afternoon, we can browse the shops of the Grand Bazaar before retiring to the hotel.
Day 3: Istanbul
- After conquering Constantinople in the 15th Century, the Ottomans built Topkapi Palace. Tour the palace and its treasures, including the hidden chambers of the Imperial Harem. A visit to the Spice Market /Egyptian Bazzar before a boat tour of the Bosphorous Strait and a quiet cafe offers a bit of rest in the afternoon. Depending on the days, the morning and afternoon may be reversed. You'll spend your final night in Istanbul.
Day 4: Cappadocia
- After breakfast, we begin our Cappadocia adventure. A transfer from your hotel to Istanbul airport for a one hour flight to Cappadocia, where you'll discover the charms of luxury cave dwelling. In Cappadocia your private guide and your private driver will be waiting for you. After your transfer you will continue your tour by visiting Uchisar Fortress, OrtaHisar and Red Valley.
Day 5: Cappadocia
- You may choose to rise today or day 6 before dawn today or tomorrow for an hot-air balloon ride over the picturesque Cappadocian valleys.(Optional Hot Air Balloon Flight)
- Today your Cappadocia guide will take you to explore Pasabaglari (Fairy Chimneys), Zelve Open Air Musuem (houses carved in rock, Seljukian Mosque and remains). After a lunch break, continue to Esentepe (panoramic view of Goreme Valley) ,Goreme Open Air Museum (rock cut churches, frescos, monastery) and Kaymakli Underground City.
Day 6: Ephesus
- In the morning you will be transferred directly to Cappadocia Airport for your flight to Izmir. Once here, you will be met again by a guide and driver and have a tour of Sirince village as you make your way to your hotel on the coast in Kusadasi.
Day 7: Ephesus
- Today you will visit the magnificent city of ancient Ephesus. We will enjoy a leisurely exploration of the city, including the Terraced Houses, followed by trip to the Ephesus Archeology Museum. We also visit St. John’s Basilica, reputed burial site of the Apostle John, and see the ruin of the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world. Also we'll make a stop at Mary's House. You'll return to your hotel in Kusadasi for a relaxing evening.
Day 8: Departure
- Transfer to Izmir Airport for a back flight to Istanbul.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation based on Package chosen:
- Platinum 5 Star Hotels (Four Seasons Sultanahmet 3 nights, Argos Cappadocia 2 nights, La Vista Boutique Hotel 2 Nights)
- Gold Hotels (Hagia Sophia Mansions 3 nights, Taru Cave Suites 2 nights, Doubletree by Hitlon Kusadasi 2 Nights)
- Silver Hotels (Sultanhan Hotel 3 nights, Kale Konak Hotel 2 nights, Nisanyan Hotel 2 Nights)
- Meals: 8 breakfasts, 7 lunches
- Services of a private licensed professional english speaking tour guide
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Air conditioned transportation with driver in Cappadocia & Izmir
- Domestic flights: Istanbul-Cappadocia, Cappadocia-Izmir and Izmir-Istanbul
- Admission fees to sites and museums
- Parking, portage, tipping (except guide & driver), toll road
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association ofTurkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International/flight tickets and international air and departure taxes
- Beverages at lunch
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Travel insurance
- Laundry, and personal items
- Entry visas
- Optional programs listed in itinerary.
Costs shown are per person in US$
Comparison Chart of Tour Packages
|Airport Greeting Service||Private Guide & Driver||Private Guide & Driver||Private Driver|
|Guided Language||Per Request||English||English|
|Hotels||Luxury 5 Star||Elite Boutique||4 Star|
|Tour Guide||Private Guides||Private Guides||Small Group Guides|
|Entry Tickets||Unlimited Included||Included||Included|
|Daily Itinerary||Unlimited Flexibility||Unlimited Flexibility||Limited Flexibility|
|Cancellation Policy||Fully Refundable up to 90 days, Credit towards future tour||Fully Refundable up to 90 days||Fully Refundable up to 90 days|