Pisidia is the ancient mountainous land that fully surrounds the plain of Pamphylia. From prehistoric to Roman times the people that occupied this region remained distinct from the Pamphylians (who were descendants the people of Troy who migrated to the region after losing in battle) even though they were likely distant relatives. Alexander the Great struggled with the Pisidians and was never fully able to defeat them. The Pamphylians, however, would never engage him. Later, when Persia battled Greece, the Pisidians supported the Persians. Then, even under the Roman rule, while Pamphylia obeyed Rome, the Pisidians continued to battle themselves, one another and the Romans.
Their vigor and distinction is likely due to the extremely rugged mountainous terrain on which they lived. This made their lives hard and the lives of their enemies harder. You'll experience the grandeur and rugged beauty of their mountaintop locations on this tour - visiting untouched sites close to Antalya.
From the mountaintop site of Termessos just 45 mins from Antalya, to the unbelievable restored grand fountains in Sagalassos to the forests surrounding Selge and Adada, these sites retain their rugged appearance and protected national forest distinction.
To mix in variety for this tour, lunch each day will be at interesting stops – a country horse farm, a waterfall, or a lakeside. While there are a few hours of driving on day 2, 3 and 4, the sites are well worth seeing as they are unique and often free of other tourists. This tour is ideal if you like hiking, exploring off the beaten path and seeing what few others dare to see.
- Located north of Antalya. It was home to the Pisidians, reputedly such a fiery bunch of warriors that even Alexander the Great decided to leave them alone. Once you see their mountaintop city, you’ll understand why. The unbelievable theater aside, you will also find the impressive remains of a gymnasium, bathhouse, odeon and necropolis.
- The remains of the city are located mainly on the acropolis. A few traces have survived of the gymnasium, the stoa, the stadium and the basilica.
- There are also the outlines of two temples, but the best conserved monument is the theater restored in the 3rd century AD.
Day 1: Arrival in Antalya
- Your guide and private driver will pick you up in the morning.
- First stop will be to Termessos - a 20 minute hike and spectacular mountain top site.
- After a delightful lunch at Orfe Horse Farm, you will visit Karain cave.
- You will then be dropped off at your Antalya hotel for dinner on your own and overnight.
Day 2: Selge, Manavgat
- After breakfast, you will be picked up from your hotel to visit the ancient city of Selge. It was an important city in Pisidia.
- After lunch at a riverside restaurant you will make an excursion to Manavgat waterfall by boat.
- You will return to your Antalya hotel for the night.
Day 3: Sagalassos, Pisidian Antioch
- Today, you will checkout of your Antalya hotel and embark on a deeper reach into Pisidia. A 2 hour drive north through the Taurus Mountains, you will come to one of the most spectacular excavated Greek / Roman sites in Turkey: Sagalassos.
- After lunch in Isparta or at the Lake town of Egirdir, you will continue on to visit Pisidian Antioch.
- You will spend the night at a hotel in Egirdir along the lake, where you can enjoy a fresh fish dinner.
Day 4: The King’s Road, Zindan Cave, Adada, Yazili (Epigraphic) Canyon, Departure
- Today’s itinerary will be filled with Adventure! After a short drive south from Lake Egirdir you will go along the ancient Persian built Kings Road to the impressive Zindan Cave.
- After a short 1 km hike, lunch will be in a nearby village.
- In the afternoon you will visit the Yazili Canyon and the Pisidian sight of Adada – where ancient hieroglyphs appear on the many canyon walls.
- You will then return to the Antalya airport for an evening departure. Or you may extend your stay by 1 night in Antalya and depart in the morning of day 5.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation: 3 nights included
- 2 nights accomodation in Antalya at the Akra Hotel
- 1 nights in accomodation in Egirdir or Isparta Hotel
- Meals : 3 breakfasts / 3 lunches
- Services of a private licensed professional English speaking tour guide
- Private/Luxury transportation and driver
- Admission fees to all sights and museums
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association ofTurkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International flight tickets and international air and departure taxes
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Travel insurance
- Visas, laundry, and personal items
- Drinks at lunch and dinner Sodas or alcohol
- Entry Visas
Price per participant
3 to 5