Pisidia is the ancient mountainous land that fully surrounds the plain of Pamphylia. From Prehistory until Roman times the people that lived here, though likely distant relatives, remained distinct from the Pamphylians, who were descendents of the migrants from Troy after their losing battle. Alexander the Great struggled with the Pisidians never fully subjugating them, unlike the Pamphylians who didn’t even fight him. Later, when Persia battled Greece, the Pisidians supported the Persians. Then, even under the Roman rule, while Pamphylia obeyed Rome, the Pisidians continued to battle themselves, one another and the Romans.
Their vigour and distinction is likely due to the extremely rugged mountainous terrain on which they lived. This made their lives hard and the lives of their enemies harder. You'll experience the grandeur and rugged beauty of their mountain top locations on this tour - visiting untouched sites close to Antalya.
From the mountaintop site of Termessos just 45 mins from Antalya, to the unbelievable restored grand fountains in Sagalassos to the forests surrounding Selge and Adada, these sites retain their rugged appearance and protected national forest distinction.
To mix in variety for this tour, lunch each day will be at interesting stops – a country horse farm, a waterfall, or a lakeside. While there are a few hours of driving on day 2, 3 and 4, the sites are well worth seeing as they are unique and often free of other tourists. This tour is ideal if you like hiking, exploring off the beaten path and seeing what few others dare to see.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation: 3 nights included
- 2 nights accomodation in Antalya at the Akra Hotel
- 1 nights in accomodation in Egirdir or Isparta Hotel
- Meals : 3 breakfasts / 3 lunches
- Services of a private licensed professional English speaking tour guide
- Private/Luxury transportation and driver
- Admission fees to all sights and museums
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association ofTurkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International flight tickets and international air and departure taxes
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Travel insurance
- Visas, laundry, and personal items
- Drinks at lunch and dinner Sodas or alcohol
- Entry Visas
- located north of Antalya. It was home to the Pisidians, reputedly such a fiery bunch of warriors that even Alexander the Great decided to leave them alone. Once you see their mountain top city, you’ll understand why. The unbelievable theater aside, you will also find the impressive remains of a gymnasium, bathhouse, odeon and necropolis.
- The remains of the city are located mainly on the acropolis. A few traces have survived of the gymnasium, the stoa, the stadium and the basilica.
- There are also the outlines of two temples, but the best conserved monument is the theater restored in the 3rd century AD.
Day 01: Arrival in Antalya
- This tour starts in the morning and today will visit Termessos and Karain cave.
- First stop will be to Termessos - a spectacular mountain top site.
- After a delightful lunch at Orfe Horse Farm, you will visit Karain cave.
- You will then go to the your Antalya hotel for dinner on your own and overnight.
Day 02: Selge, Manavgat
- After breakfast, you will be picked up from your hotel to visit Selge ancient city. It was an important city in Pisidia.
- After lunch at a riverside restaurant you will make an excursion to Manavgat waterfall with boat.
- After that you will return to your Antalya hotel.
Day 03: Sagalassos, Pisidian Antioch
- Today you will checkout of your Antalya hotel and embark on a deeper reach into Pisidia. A 2 hour drive north through the Taurus Mtns, you will come to one of the most spectacular excavated Greek / Roman sites in Turkey: Sagalassos.
- After lunch in Isparta or at the Lake town of Egirdir, you will continue on to visit Pisidian Antioch.
- You will spend the night at a hotel in Egirdir along the lake, where you can enjoy a fresh fish dinner.
Day 04: The King’s Road, Zindan Cave, Adada, Yazili (Epigraphic) Canyon, Departure
- Today’s itinerary will be filled with Adventure! After a short drive south from Lake Egirdir you will go along the ancient Persian built Kings Road to the impressive Zindan Cave.
- After a short hike along its 1 km length, lunch will be in the nearby village.
- The afternoon will visit the Yazili Canyon and the Pisidian sight of Adada – where ancient hieroglyphs appear on the many canyon walls.
- You will then return to the Antalya airport for an evening departure. Or you may extend your stay by 1 night in Antalya and depart in the morning of day 5.
Price per participant
3 to 5