Walk in Paul’s footsteps
Visit the Ancient Sites of Paul’s First Journey
This unique Biblical tour is most often operated over 6 days starting in Cappadocia after a stop in Istanbul, and following St. Paul’s travels return during his first missionary journey from Cappadocia west to Lystra and Derbe where little remains today. You'll then head west to Iconium (modern day Konya) and then towards Pisidian Antioch (modern day Yalvac) before going south to the Mediterranean port city of Antalya (Attalia).
If you have 3 extra days, the tour could reach as far as Antioch of Syria (actually Modern day Hatay/Antakya in SE Turkey), though the distance and travel to reach here is excessive. We recommend instead spending extra time at the beginning or end of your trip in Antalya on the beach!
Hotels used are in the larger towns nearby as a few sites have no modern or ancient remains!
This tour can be designed per your desires and timing, just let us know. You may consider extending this trip by adding time in Istanbul or Ephesus using direct flights. See the tour extension details at:
The tour follows the general outline of Acts 13 & 14.
Day 1 - Istanbul
- Your private guide and driver will welcome you at the Istanbul Airport and transfer you to your hotel in the heart of Istanbul.
- You will have free time this evening to explore Sultanahmet on your own!
Day 2 - Istanbul
- With your guide you will visit Emperor Justinian’s masterpiece the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome and its monuments.
- Following lunch you will continue your tour by visiting the Basilica Cistern and a visit to the Grand Bazaar.
- You will return to your hotel that evening for dinner on your own and overnight
Day 3 - Istanbul to Cappadocia
- Your private guide will meet you in your hotel to take you to your Bosphorus boat tour. Along the shores of the Bosphorus, you will view the Dolmabahce Palace, Ciragan Palace, Maiden’s Tower, Bosphorus bridges, Rumeli and Anadolu fortresses, and Ottoman Residences.
- Following lunch you will visit Topkapi Palace and Spice Market.
- You will be transferred directly from your tour to the Istanbul airport for a short 1 hour flight to Cappadocia.
- In Cappadocia you will be welcomed by your private guide and transferred to your hotel for the evening.
Optional Programs in Istanbul:
- Bosphorus Cruise with Dinner and show : $75/person
- Whirling Dervish Ceremony : $65/person
- Turkish Bath: $95/person
Day 4 – Cappadocia
- Today your guide will meet you at your hotel and you will see the rich and colorful Christian history in the monastic area of Ceasarea – Kayseri and the troglodyte world of Cappadocia. You’ll also explore rock cut churches, amazing frescoes, and unforgettable landscapes while visiting Uchisar Fortress, Mustafa Pasa.
- Following lunch you will visit the Kaymakli Underground City where many Christians hid as the Byzantine empire lost strength.
- Relax and enjoy your hotel that evening
Day 5– Cappadocia
- Today your guide will meet you at your hotel and will take you to explore Pasabaglari (Fairy Chimneys), Zelve Open Air Museum (houses carved in rock, Seljukian Mosque and remains).
- Following lunch you'll continue to Esentepe for incredible panoramic view of Goreme Valley, Goreme Open Air Museum (rock cut churches, frescos, monastery) and Cavusin and Cavusin Church.
- Relax and enjoy your hotel that evening
Day 6– Cappadocia to Pisidian Antioch
- Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you will head out to experience the length of St. Paul's first journey (Acts, 13 & 14) as you embark on a drive to Iconium, Lystra and Pisidian Antioch. You’ll have compelling stops at a Caravanserai and see the ancient mound in Konya, as well as the Mevlana Museum.
- Following lunch you will continue in the footsteps of St. Paul by visiting Lystra where he escaped twice. Then visit the excavated site of Pisidian Antioch and it’s Museum.
- After this long day you will end at the sea side hotel in Egridir.
Optional Programs in Cappadocia:
- Whirling Dervish Ceremony: $65 per person
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: 6o Minutes: $220 per person 90 Minutes: $330 per person
- Horse Riding Tour: 1 Hour: $60 person
Day 7 – Antioch to Antalya
- Wake up on the seaside and meet your guide to start your day of gaining a new appreciation for Paul as you follow his path through the rugged Taurus mountains as he did on his return to Perga. You will visit this ancient excavated city and its Museum before arriving to your hotel in the city center of Attallia (Antalya).
- The night is yours to enjoy the Mediterranean sea and the charm of Antalya.
Day 8 – Departure
- A private driver will pick you up from your hotel and transfer you to the Antalya airport for your back flight to Istanbul.
- Not ready to leave quite yet? Continue exploring Turkey with one of our flexible EXTENSION TOUR!
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in Istanbul (2 nights), Cappadocia (3 nights) , 1 night each in Egirdir and Antalya
- Breakfast daily, Lunch on Full Day tours
- Experienced licensed professional English speaking guides
- Domestic flights (Istanbul – Cappadocia / Antalya – Istanbul)
- Airport Transfers
- Admission tickets to sites and museums
- Private VIP transportation per tour itinerary
- Parking, portage, toll roads
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association of Turkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a vey basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International flight tickets
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Entry Visas
- Most dinners
- Additional drinks at lunch and dinner
- Optional programs listed in the itinerary