One of our most popular tours
This private group tour will feature some of the high spots of Turkey’s Christian history including the 7 Churches of Revelation, as well as visit the main historic sites and major attractions of Turkey. You’ll first discover Istanbul, a city of business frenzy, entertainment, and a wealth of rich culture. Absorb it’s ancient structures, from its mosques to the Roman influenced architecture.
The next leg of your journey will take you along the major classical sites of western Turkey where the 7 Churches of Revelation are found, including: Laodiciea and Pamukkale with its thermal pools, Philadelphia, Sardis, Thyatira, Pergamum, Smyrna, and Ephesus. The route will generally follow the text of Revelations 1-3.
This is a trip designed to explore some of the most featured regions of Turkey, while giving time and attention to the devotional journey awaiting you at the 7 Church sites of Revelations.
Day 1 – Istanbul
- Your private guide and driver will welcome you at the Istanbul Airport and transfer you to your hotel in the heart of Istanbul.
- You will have free time this evening to explore Sultanahmet on your own!
- With your guide you will visit Emperor Justinian’s masterpiece the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome and its monuments.
- Following lunch, you will continue your tour by visiting the Basilica Cistern and a visit to the Grand Bazaar.
- You will return to your hotel that evening for dinner on your own and overnight
Optional Programs in Istanbul
- Your private guide will be ready in your hotel lobby to take you to your Bosphorus boat tour. Along the shores of the Bosphorus, you will view the Dolmabahce Palace, Ciragan Palace, Maiden’s Tower, Bosphorus bridges, Rumeli and Anadolu fortresses, and Ottoman Residences.
- Following lunch you will visit Topkapi Palace and the Spice Market.
- From your day out you will be transferred directly to Istanbul airport for your 1 hour flight to Izmir.
- In Izmir you will be welcomed by your private guide and driver who will transfer you to your hotel in downtown Izmir on the coast.
Day 4 – Izmir – Smyrna & Ephesus
- Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you will start your unforgettable journey to the 7 Churches of Revelations (Rev. Ch. 2 & 3)
- Start with a visit to the Martyr Polycarp’s Church in Izmir and a brief tour of Smyrna’s ancient city. (Rev 2:8-11)
- Following lunch you will continue to the majestic ancient port city of Ephesus (Rev 2:1-7) where you walk on the colonnaded street where Paul and John walked and visit the great theater where Paul caused an uproar.
- You’ll see amazing statues at the Ephesus Museum and learn some bizarre origins of Mary’s veneration upon visiting the remnants of the great Artemis temple.
- You’ll see how Romans lived in the Slope homes and visit an Ancient pilgrimage site, St. John’s Basilica, before returning to your hotel in Izmir for the night.
Day 5 – Pergamum & Thyatira
- Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you will drive to the 3rd Church - Pergamum (Rev 2:12-17) to see the breathtaking Acropolis where the Temple of Zeus (some claim Satan’s Seat in the Roman Empire) is located.
- Later learn of the medical history at the Asklepion and see a pagan temple converted to a church at the Red Basilicia.
- Following lunch you will visit the trade town of Thyatira (Rev 2:18-29), where Lydia, seller of purple cloth, was from before departing to your hotel in Sardis.
- Enjoy time in the evening in the thermal baths at the hotel.
Day 6 – Sardis & Philadelphia
- You guide will meet you at your hotel and you will head out to explore the magnificent sites of Sardis, (Rev 3:1-6) known for the golden fleece, dyeing of wool, and the huge temple of Artemis – There is a wonderful restored Synagogue here founded in the 600 BC, likely a location where Paul preached.
- Following lunch you'll see the ruins at Philadelphia (Rev. 3:7-13) and then drive to Pamukkale and visit the ancient city of Hierapolis (Ref in Colossians).
- You’ll be able to visit the ruins into the evening and enjoy a thermal swim at your hotel.
Day 7 – Laodicea
- Your guide will meet you at your hotel and you will visit the last church of Laodicea (Rev 3:14-22), a wonderful site actively being excavated. You'll also explore the meaning of being “lukewarm” from Revelations.
- Enjoy lunch and a visit to the rarely seen sculpture/statute city of Aphrodisias on your way to Antalya through the Toros Mountains, where Paul traversed.
- After a full day of exploration you have the option to depart this evening either by flight from nearby Denizli to Istanbul Airport, or by land to either Izmir or Antalya to stay the night.
Day 8 – Departure
- Your private driver will meet you at your hotel to take you to the airport for your international departure flight.
- Evening Tour to Karsiyaka: $65 / person
- Cleopatra Pool in Pamukkale: $25 / person
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: 6o Minutes: $220 per person / 90 Minutes: $330 per person
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation (in Silver class hotels)
- Breakfast daily, Lunch on Full Day tours
- Licensed professional English speaking guides with extensive 7 Churches knowledge.
- Domestic flights (Istanbul – Izmir / Izmir – Istanbul)
- Airport Transfers
- Admission tickets to sites and museums
- Private VIP transportation per tour itinerary
- Parking, portage, toll roads
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association of – Turkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a vey basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is not included in the tour
- International flight tickets
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Most dinners
- Entry Visas
- Additional drinks at lunch and dinner
- Optional programs listed in the itinerary